Migraines and headaches can be attributed to problems arising in the joints and muscles of the neck. Usually, it is the upper part of the neck and the area at the base of the skull that can cause the problems – anatomically, this is an important gateway for the nerves and blood vessels to travel in and out of the skull. Problems with the neck are most commonly due to an injury, poor posture, or everyday activities which put a strain on the neck muscles.
- Problems arising in the joints and muscles of the neck. Usually, it is in the upper part of the neck and at the base of the skull that the issues arise – anatomically this is an important gateway for the nerves and blood vessels to travel in and out of the skull.
- Problems with the neck due to an injury, poor posture, or long hours working at a desk.
- High levels of stress.: today, more than ever, we are juggling demanding jobs with family life. Stress causes our muscles to tighten, affecting our neck and the base of the skull.
- Hormonal or linked to a women's menstrual cycle. In these cases, women often experience higher levels of muscle tension triggering painful headaches that can be alleviated by chiropractic treatment of the neck.
- Teeth grinding at night can also cause migraine and tension headaches because the muscles around the jaw and neck become very tight as a result.
In a clinical trial, 82% of people suffering from chronic migraine and tension headaches, experienced substantial improvement after a course of Chiropractic Treatment.
Chiropractic treatment for migraines is highly effective in addressing the root cause of the pain as well as helping to prevent future migraine attacks.
Dr Jonathan Cook, (DC, FRCC, SFRCC), says, "In many of the patients we treat here at The House Clinics, the physiological causes of migraines can be one of three things; biomechanical malfunction of the neck, which can cause alteration in blood flow to the brain, irritation to a nerve which can cause referred neurogenic pain, or inflammation of the joints of the neck and associated muscle tension. The root cause of this can be stress, posture - particularly at a computer, or injury."
In an initial consultation, your chiropractor can assess your symptoms and spinal alignment. A recommended treatment programme will be discussed with you and may include the following:
As a multidisciplinary practice, The House Clinics are able to combine the expertise of our Chiropractic, Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy, Podiatry and Chiropody practitioners to offer a unique and exceptional service to our clients. Please speak to your practitioner if you have any queries about other services we offer.
A wealth of information and useful news articles to help you.
Discover the game changing benefits of chiropractic care for neck and back pain. Say goodbye to discomfort and hello to a healthier, happier you!